Saturday 10 December 2016

2016 in Review

I didn't do much artistic work in 2016. However, I did manage to produce another painting of the Angolan Woman, in January. A much smaller version though, 14" x 10".



But then I started building my boat, Seagull, a 15 foot Maine Lobster Boat in Cedar and Douglas Fir and that took most of my time.



The very large pen & ink drawing of Saint David's Cathedral was started but has still not got finished (yet).


Then the boat-build was interrupted whilst we decided to drive across Europe to Austria, where we had a great time.





Then it was back home and on with the build.


I took the chance to paint my nephew-in-law's late father. All I had was the one awful photograph, but I did the best I could.

Only my kids and grand kids could have formed partnerships with, an Algerian, an American, an Australian and a Japanese! Not to mention one English (we are Welsh/British not English/British :)   )

I couldn't resist painting this Afghan 'priest' who lives in poverty in the mountains. (a touch of Davy Crochett about him)


With a run of bad weather keeping me from the boat


I resorted to painting  Imogene and Grace



Having got back into the flow of things, I painted my great-grandchildren (my grandchildren's children).  First there was Daisy, and then my little Australian, Topgun (Logan)



I then painted my best friend, Giselle - who is Logan and Koby's Mum.


Which leaves me in the midst of a painting of Logan and Koby


....... and ... a new project ... of something on an entirely different track.

19 comments:

  1. Well, that looks like a lot of creative loveliness to me! Keep going! Have a nice weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do excuse me, John, while I sit down and catch my breath. After reading that lot, I feel quite faint.

    When you say: "and ... a new project ... of something on an entirely different track", I've got a sneaking feeling I know what you are referring to.

    Is it a new Station in life, or, maybe, you're training for something else ?

    The World awaits with baited (from a Lobster Boat in the Maine) breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest Mr Z, it was something you did that set a chain reaction, sort of set the 6 five special in motion

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all can't wait to see the new Gatepost Pictures Production, John.

    As it happens, I remember The Six-Five-Special TV Programme, as well. Don't make 'em like that anymore.

    Meanwhile, Christmas Blessings to you, Pat, and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A busy year! I love the great grandchildren! And I hope you can fix the problems with the boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll fix them, Judy. Loved your post of cards etc ... really lovely.

      Delete
  6. Hello John!:) Lovely art work, and thank you for sharing your family with us, and your roots. After you telling me about your flying connections, I had wondered about your connections to the UK. Good luck with your new project,...whatever that might be.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, the new project will be unveiled shortly ... unless I mess it up!

      Delete
  7. John, you have had one wonderful year!!! I LOVE the painting of Grace - she is exquisite! I cannot even begin to imagine what you will accomplish in the new year!

    Warmly

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you back in blogland; hope the big freeze in Canada leaves you OK.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful post, John. A real treat to see the year like this. You are a genuine marvel with so many talents.. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
    I am curious about your 'teaser" line of "entirely different track," and reading yours and Mr Z's back and forth, I am even more confuse. Six-five-special??? Please explain to this curious friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 6 five special was a Pop Programme on 1960s TV ... the reference I make is to its signature tune.

      The 6.5 Special's steamin' down the line,
      The 6.5 Special's right on time.
      Coal in the boiler burnin' up'n bright,
      Rollin' and a-rockin' through the night,
      My heart's a-beatin' 'cos I'll be meetin'
      The 6.5. Special at the station tonight.

      Delete
    2. I left in 64. but I seem to remember something like that. So...will you be working on a train?

      Delete
  9. And the first prize goes to the young lady from New Mexico :). Yes a train but it's going to be different to anything I've ever done before ... if I don't mess it up! I've put a lot of hours into it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a memorable year you had, John. Thanks for summing it up for us in this wonderful post - I almost feel like I have been on this journey right along side of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Glad you had such a good time with your daughter.

      Delete
  11. John I am VERY impressed with your paintings!! I particularly love the ones of your great grandchildren, but also that one of the Afghan priest is very captivating. His eyes are so well done!! ANd you build boats too? Your talents are endless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal. So good to see you back painting & in blogland!

      Delete